Mid-July is peak time for garden vegetables and this week’s recipe makes good use of them. Many of Beaverdale Farmers Market’s produce vendors grow in the 50310 zip code, and others are from surrounding towns such as Pleasant Hill and Carlisle. Iowa State Extension Service’s Mary Krisco attended the market to promote Extension’s preserving programs and shared this versatile recipe.
- 7 cups cut-up vegetables (zucchini, broccoli, carrots, radishes, green onions)
- 1 pepper (green, red, or yellow), sliced (1 to 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 tomatoes (red or yellow or mixed)
- 2/3 cup light or fat-free dressing
- Wash and prepare the vegetables (cut the carrots and zucchini in slices, slice or chop tomatoes make the broccoli and cauliflower in florets.) If you plan to make this ahead or keep for several days, seed the tomatoes or they get too juicy.
- Combine all vegetables and salad dressing in a bowl, stirring to coat vegetables with dressing. Cover and refrigerate 1 to 3 hours to blend favors. Store any leftovers in refrigerator and use within 3 days.